Brookfield Properties is a leading owner, operator and developer of office and multifamily assets. Our signature office properties define the skyline of dynamic cities around the world, including gateway cities such as New York, London, Berlin, Toronto, and Sydney. Our multifamily business owns, develops, renovates and manages approximately 40,000 high quality rental apartment buildings in supply constrained markets of major cities such as New York and London, as well as high growth markets in the suburban U.S.
Job Description / Responsibilities:
Responsible for maintaining the general ledger and providing accurate, complete and timely reporting of the financial operations of assigned properties (including but not limited to financial reporting, budgeting and forecasting).
- Responsible for the general ledgers for assigned properties, including monthly journal entries, income and expense accruals, job costing, expense recovery true-ups and GAAP/IFRS adjustments as needed.
- Understanding of accounts payable (AP), accounts receivable (AR), cash receipts, bank reconciliations and lease administration functions of commercial real estate and how they drive the financial results of assigned properties.
- Perform both detailed and high level analysis as required on assigned properties.
- Assist Regional Controller/Managers in ad hoc projects as needed.
Financial Reporting & Analysis
- Accurate and timely preparation of periodic financial packages, forecasts & budgets including analyses and supporting schedules of all balance sheet and income statement accounts.
- Provide explanations of significant variances in accounts as requested.
- Data gathering for corporate income tax team and other tax compliance reporting.
- Assist in resolving accounting issues and setting accounting standards that comply with company policies and generally accepted accounting principles.
Audit and Compliance
- Prepare detailed interim and year-end working papers and support schedules as needed for internal/external auditors.
- Ensure compliance of mortgage loan covenants and reporting requirements.
- Provide assistance with tenant audits.
- Assist with corporation compliance requirements as needed.
- Strong accounting skills with in-depth knowledge of US GAAP (specifically real estate); IFRS a plus.
- Strong analytical ability; understands details as well as big picture; provides meaningful conclusions.
- Strong communication and organizational skills; ability to handle multiple priorities; self-starter.
- Strong organization skills; able to provide results under tight deadlines.
- 5+ years of extensive exposure to commercial real estate accounting.
- Proficient in PC based software - experience in CTI, Hyperion and/or Cougar/Argus a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance, professional accounting designation preferred.