Brookfield Office Properties (BPO) owns and manages premier office properties in supply constrained markets across North America, UK and Australia. The quality and location of Brookfield’s landmark office properties attracts the best, most successful organizations across North America, UK and Australia. In Canada, we have properties in three main cities - Toronto, Ottawa and Calgary. Brookfield Office Properties (BPO) is committed to outstanding customer service which is supported by extensive training and proactive recruitment practices, enthusiastically embraced by the entire Brookfield team. First Canadian Place, one of our signature buildings in Downtown Toronto is looking for a Property Accountant to join their team.
Reporting to the Manager, Property Accounting, this position works closely with other team members to provide timely & accurate management reporting and analytical support to the Property Management Group, Asset Management, and Corporate Accounting departments.
- Month-end and Quarter-end Closing and Reporting:
- Monthly management reports as required by co-owners/asset management.
- Monthly supporting documentation package for SOX purposes including ensuring controls are operating effectively throughout the year.Any issues noted are communicated up to the Controllers and dealt with in a timely and methodical manner.
- All corporate required various analysis and adhoc reporting.
- Timely and accurate completion of operating costs accruals, standard JE’s and sign-off and booking of Straight Line Rents.
- Revenue Recognition - Accounting team ensure that critical dates for revenue recognition are evaluated and compared to cash commencement date when Rent Roll reconciliations are prepared, any significant Free Rent or Deferred Rent assessed appropriately.All required accounting assessment memos are prepared and reviewed on a timely basis, in the month the deal is unconditional.
- Monthly completion of the capital forecasting template to be completed by the dates provided in the accounting calendar.
- Monthly completion of Bank Reconciliation and HST returns.
Accounting Processes & Tenant Expectations:
- Timely and accurate completion of CAM and Tax tenant billing adjustments; working with Financial Services Centre (FSC) for preparation of tenant pre-bill notices and monthly automated special services billings.
Financial Reporting and Audits (internal and external reporting):
- Timely and accurate completion of all interim tests required leading up to the year-end audit.
- Ensure all balances in F/S and F/S notes tie out to Leadsheets and/or other audit work papers.
- Ensure accounting processes are executed efficiently and effectively across the portfolio, and technology and system generated reports are fully utilized.
- Continue to eliminate “non-value added” functions and share best practices with other accountants, managers and controllers.
- Continue with Balance sheet reconciliations and cleaning up of historical accounts - the purpose is to ensure we keep our accounts and general ledgers as up-to-date and as clean as possible.
- Purchase Orders – Confirm on a periodic (min quarterly basis that the property operations team has cleaned up Purchase Orders, invalid or completed Purchase Orders in PO Tracker and CTI have been closed / removed.
- Timely and accurate completion of budget tasks by due dates specified by the property and asset managers.
- Other requests as required by Manager, Property Accounting.
The ideal candidate is service oriented with excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written). This individual is able to work independently with minimal supervision and is self-motivated with a positive attitude. This persona is a team player who is able to work in a fast paced, deadline driven environment and cope with changing priorities. The successful candidate will be able to prioritize tasks, work under pressure and deal with complex ownership and reporting structures. Maintains a mature, tactful and professional image.
EXPERIENCE & TECHINCAL SKILLS:
- Minimum 2-3 years property management accounting experience is required. Preference will be given to those who have worked within a commercial property management environment.
- Working knowledge of month end/accounting cycle for the preparation of full set of financial statements.
- Preparation/review of financial statements, cash management, budgets, audit working papers and Tenant operating cost adjustments.
- Exposure to inter-departmental relationships within a large organization.
EDUCATION / DESIGNATIONS / LICENSES:
- A University Degree or College Diploma in an accounting related field of study is required. Preference will be given to candidates enrolled in the Intermediate levels of a recognized accounting program (CPA).
- Intermediate working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Outlook is required.
- Intermediate to advanced working knowledge of MS Excel is required.
- Exposure to Yardi and Cougar/Clarity programs is considered an asset.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for pre-screening will be contacted.
Brookfield is committed to accommodating the individual needs of all applicants with disabilities during the recruitment and selection process as required under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.